Although not well known in the mainstream, blue essential oils such as Blue Tansy, are becoming increasingly popular in the green beauty world. Not only for their striking blue hue, but also for the soothing properties they have on sensitive skin, eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis. Blue essential oils contain the organic compound, Azulene, which was first distilled from chamomile in the 15th century, and later from wormwood and yarrow. Azulene is prized for it's calming properties, healing a variety of irritating skin conditions due to it's anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It's also been known to aid cell regeneration, making it a clear choice for anti-aging products to reduce wrinkles and heal damaged skin. I'll take you through the most beneficial blue essential oils for sensitive skin and suggest some eczema treatments.
The blue oils for sensitive skin
German Blue Chamomile Essential Oil
This beneficial essential oil is a cousin of the daisy, known to be gentle and relaxing. It penetrates deep into the layers of your skin where its concentrated anti-inflammatory properties can restore and soothe irritated skin, burns, and other angry conditions. German chamomile oil has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties making it perfect for sensitive skin prone to inflammation, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis and breakouts.
Blue Yarrow Essential Oil
This sweet aromatic herbal
is one of the most powerful natural astringents. It shrinks the skin and promotes skin healing making it fabulous for acne and inflammation. It is a powerful anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and antiseptic but is also helpful at regenerating skin cells. It too is fantastic as an eczema treatment, healing all sensitive skin issues including dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema.
Blue Tansy Essential Oil
One of the most popular and rare oils today, Blue Tansy has a warm and herbaceous fragrance that encourages relaxation. In addition to being an aromatic relaxant, blue tansy has analgesic, anesthetic, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergenic properties which neutralize and stop histamine production to help reduce skin reactions to allergens... it's ultra soothing for the skin. It’s useful for itchy dry skin, bruising, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, damaged, inflamed, and sunburned skin.
What is eczema?
Eczema is usually red, itchy, irritated and inflamed skin. It can look different for different people but some of the symptoms include: dry and sensitive skin, red and inflamed skin, itching, dark patches of skin, rough, leathery or scaly areas of skin, swelling, oozing or crusting of skin. Sometimes the itching can get so bad you may itch until it bleeds. This patches of eczema can occur on different parts of the body. Eczema occurs when the body is allergic to certain foods, allergens or enviromental factors. Eczema can be hereditary and exacerbated by food allergies.
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is different from eczema in that it is a disease that starts below the skin's surface. The immune system is overactive which produces inflammation which can cause skin cells to produce more rapidly than usual. Because skin cells cannot shed skin cells this rapidly, the cells pile up on top of each other and form thick, red, flaky, itchy patches.
What is dermatitis?
Dermatitis is any red or itchy inflammation of the skin all caused by irritants or allergens. Eczema is a type of dermatitis(atopic dermatitis). Other kinds include contact dermatitis, which is caused by the skin coming into direct contact with an allergen. Examples of contact allergens could include soaps, perfumes, metals, plants, and more.
Diet & Eczema
Topical treatments can only go so far. We recommend a holistic approach, figuring out if something in your diet is causing your eczema. Often, highly allergenic foods cause eczema, such as soy, gluten, dairy or shellfish. You can try an elimination diet, omitting one type of food at a time for a 3 week period to see if it clears up your eczema. You may also ask your doctor about allergen testing.
Sensitive Skin Products
BLUE SERENITY BEAUTY BALM
MADE WITH CERTIFIED ORGANIC ARGAN OIL
Goal: Soothe, Nourish, protect, regenerate and heal extremely sensitive, fragile skin
Use: as needed
Skin type: Sensitive, Stressed, blemished, and aging
Why we love it: this beauty balm is ultra soothing and healing, can calm even the most angry skin
Benefits: Some of us just can't find a product that doesn't anger our skin. Extremely sensitive skin can be frustrating because it's hard to pinpoint what is causing the inflammation. Look no further! Blue Serenity Beauty Balm has been carefully formulated with active ingredients chosen to eliminate inflammation, reduce eczema, counteract allergens, nourish and regenerate damaged skin cells. This deeply penetrating moisturizer will not clog pores but instead will tighten pores and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Developed with three essential oils containing azulene, this organic compound is known for its extreme anti-inflammatory properties making it idea for stressed, damaged or acne-prone skin. Your skin will be enveloped in Blue Serenity and you'll notice an overall reduction of redness and drastic improvement in complexion.
Ingredients: Wildcrafted Blue Tansy, *Blue Yarrow, *German Blue Chamomile, Wildcrafted Violet Leaf absolute, *Helichrysum, *Frankincense, *lavender, wildcrafted jasmine sambac absolute, non-gmo Kokum Butter & Shea Butter *=certified organic
Details and Benefits of each Ingredient:
- Shea Butter - Certified Organic, Raw - used for centuries in Africa for its moisturizing and healing properties, where it has been used to protect and condition skin which has been damaged.
- Kokum Butter - Raw - Kokum is an easily absorbed emollient. Amazing at regenerating skin cells, it has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that make it ideal for damaged skin. It's an especially good alternative for those with sensitive skin and combats fine lines, wrinkles and age spots.
- Argan Oil - Certified Organic - 0 Comedogenic rating
Referred to as liquid gold, it has been prized for it's ability to treat skin and body conditions since before 12 BC. Argan oil is produced from the kernals of the Argan tree which grows in a tiny area of Morocco. High in vitamin E, essential fatty acids and retinol. Combats free radicals which prevents damage of skin cells, is anti-inflammatory, treats acne, wrinkles, dry skin. Sun Protectant, restores elasticity, non-irritating, deeply penetrates skin and is absorbed easily.
- Jojoba Oil - Certified Organic, Cold Pressed/Unrefined, Israel, 2 Comedogenic Rating -
Fatty acid profile is almost identical to ours, making it easily absorable. Great skin emollient, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial making it a good oil for acne.
- Evening Primrose Oil - Certified Organic, Cold Pressed/Unrefined, China - 2 Comedogenic Rating
High in omega-6, moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, boosts blood circulation, high in linoleic acid which is good for treating acne
- Helichrysum Essential Oil - Certified Organic, Steam Distilled, Corsica - Anti-inflammatory, highly regenerating and healing, great for mature skin, wrinkles, cellulite acne, dilated pores, stretch marks and circles under the eyes.
- Frankincense Essential Oil - Certified Organic, Steam Distilled, Australia
Heals scars, controls sebum production, tones uneven skin, promotes cell regeneration, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, treat dry skin, reduces the appearance of scars, speeds up the healing of acne.
- Blue Tansy Essential Oil - Wildcrafted, Mororcco - Certified Organic, Ethiopia - In addition to being an aromatic relaxant, blue tansy has analgesic, anesthetic, and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains anti-allergenic properties which neutralise and stop histamines production to help control reactions to various allergenics... very soothing for the skin. It’s useful for itchy dry skin, bruising, dermatitis, damaged, inflamed, and sunburned skin.
- Blue Chamomile Essential Oil - Organic - This beneficial essential oil penetrates deep into the layers of your skin where its potent anti-inflammatory action can restore and soothe irritated skin, burns, and other skin conditions. German chamomile oil has antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties making it perfect for sensitive skin prone to inflamation and breakouts.
- Blue Yarrow Essential Oil - Certified Organic, South Africa - Yarrow essential oil is one of the most powerful natural astringents. It shrinks the skin and promotes skin healing. It is a powerful anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbrial and anticeptic.
- Violet Leaf Absolute - Wildcrafted, Egypt - it is soothing and cooling but also makes an excellent moisturizer and emollient. Violet leaf also gently tightens pores and is useful to control acne, eczema and dermatitis.
- Jasminum sambac(Jasmine Sambac essential absolute oil) - Wildcrafted, India, hexane free extracted
Breathing in the scent of jasmine has the power to release feel-good brain chemicals that boost energy as well as reduce anxiety. In addition to Jasmine's sweet smell, it contains potent antiseptic, antibacterial, and antiviral properties so it's fantastic at fighting pesky blemishes and aiding skins immunity. It's also high in anti-oxidants that protect skin from free-radical damage which cause premature aging and fades scars and stretch marks. Jasmine increases skin’s elasticity and help balance moisture in the skin to naturally reduce dryness without clogging pores.
- Lavender Essential Oil - Certified Organic
Steam distilled, Bulgaria
Anti-inflammatory, treats acne, sunburn and skin conditions, healing, regenerative, antibacterial, astringent. Good for oily skin prone to acne, irritated, damaged, dilated pores, scars, stretch marks. Relaxing aromatic.
POSTED BY JEANNETTE SAGER ON MAY 25TH 2016
"First of all, I love how this product smells! It's not like anything else I've used before, but the aromatherapy benefits alone are amazing. Second, I really like to use this after I've worked out, when my skin gets a major flush that lasts foreeeeveerrrrrr! But when I use this, it seems to calm me down quite a lot faster, plus my skin is so soft and luscious afterwards! I also like to use it before bed, because the smell is gorgeous and then I wake up feeling like a movie star! Because of the texture, it can be a bit difficult to scoop out of the jar, but it melts nicely in warm hands so application is no problem."
Argan Republic cannot be held responsible for any actions made, implied or expressed by anyone as a result of this guidance.
The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are in no way intended to heal, prevent or treat any illness. Please consult your doctor if you are seeking medical advice.